Club News‎ > ‎

Bennettsbridge Junior B & Senior teams record comfortable wins over Kilmacow and Danesfort

posted May 18, 2016, 8:05 AM by Alan Flynn   [ updated May 18, 2016, 8:07 AM ]

First up was the Junior B Team against Kilmacow in the 3rd Round of the League. Played on Friday in The Bridge this was a much more determined performance from the lads and they ran out winners on a score line of 1-17 to 0-12. After trading points early on the home side struck a rich vein of form on 10mins and over the next 5 minutes they hit 4 unanswered points. They held a 3 point lwad coming up to the half time whistle but then a goal from Patrick O’Neill and a point from K Brennan put daylight and a true reflection of the void between the teams. 2 early points at the start of the second half stretched the lead but to be fair to the visitors they fought hard and were rewarded with 4 points on the trot. This was as good as it got however and it was cruise mode to the final whistle for the Bridge men. The Team was B Tynan, B O’Neill, Paul O’Neill(0-1), L Mc Carthy, S Byrne, E Fitzgerald, E Murphy, K Brennan(0-4), L Dowling(0-4), D Walsh(0-3), Pat O’Neill(1-2), G Hayes(0-1), A Byrne, T Kiely(0-1), M Walsh(0-1). Sub Used. J Hayes for E Murphy.

On Sunday the senior team went to neighbours Danesfort for the first round of the O’Byrne Cup. Playing against the wind in the first half L Blanchfield rose the first flag in the very first minute. It would not be repeated until the 14th minute however with Liam once again on target. It was 6-2 at that stage although the lads were playing well enough. By half time the deficit was down to a single point with the scoreboard reading 7points to 6. Danesfort were first off the mark with a pointed free but over the next 15  minutes the tide had changed with The Bridge hitting 7points to 2. It was cruise control after this and over the remaining minutes of the game the Bridge lads hit 3points to 12 converted frees to the hosts. In fact The Bridge almost hit the back of the net but somehow the ball was kept out by the goalkeeper. The Team was E Cleere, J Moran, R Lennon, C Wafer, E Morrissey(0-1), J Cleere, A Cleere, D Wafer, K Blanchfield, H O’Neill(0-3), P O’Neill, N Cleere(0-6), M Shiel, L Blanchfield(0-4), S Morrissey(0-2). Subs used K Brennan, Paul O’Neill,E Fitzgerald, Dylan Walsh.