Club News‎ > ‎

Bennettsbridge crowned All Ireland Intermediate Club Champions 2015/6

posted Mar 31, 2016, 4:12 AM by Alan Flynn   [ updated Apr 1, 2016, 2:45 AM ]
This may not have gone the way the bookies expected it to go but it is the end result that counts. The final score of 1-17 to 1-14 with the dice falling in favour of the Bridge meant that we are now double champions and along the way history was made. Abbeyknockmoy hit the opening score before The Bridge hit 4 unanswered points. Two great scores from Willie Murphy and Sean Morrissey were followed by one each from Nicky Cleere and Brian Lannon which sent our boys into a worthy lead after just ten minutes. If we thought this was going to be straight forward we could not have been any further from reality. Two quick points from the Galway men made our boys sit up and take notice. We hit back with three quick points of our own but this did not faze them and they tagged on a couple of their own. After hitting two points in the 23rd minute we were comfortable but Abbeyknockmoy did not read the script and they finished the half stronger hitting four and conceding none leaving both sides on ten points going into the break. The second half started with the Galway wing back hitting a long range point to send them into the lead before two pointed frees from Nickey Cleere sent our boys back in front. Another from Brian Lannon set The Bridge boys up but then trouble struck. First a point from corner forward Paul Flaherty and then after Enda Cleere making two great saves the ball was batted into the net and now we were in a bit of bother. Two further points left us chasing the match big time with Abbeyknockmoy now four points to the good. They drove a couple of chances wide which gave our boys some hope. A couple of great points from man of the match Sean Morrissey meant we were on the way back. Two more pointed frees from Nicky Cleere meant it was a draw game. With the game in the melting pot a shot from Sean Morrissey dropped short and with the keeper making a bit of a hash of it the ball ended in the net and we were back in business.With just five minutes left to play we took control and even though we failed to raise another flag it was game set and match. When the final whistle blew the familiar sight of wild celebrations followed. Captain Enda Morrissey received the cup on behalf of the team from President of the GAA Aogan OFearghail to wild applause. Enda spoke very well and thanked everyone for the effort that went into making this fairytail happen. The return home to the village was amazing with huge crowds awaiting the bus. So it's a case of 30 not out for this great bunch of young men from the parish and they can now be compared to any team of the past from the club. The team that lined out was. E Cleere, J Moran, R Lennon, C Wafer, J Cleere, E Morrissey, A Cleere, D Wafer, K Blanchfield (S Wemyss),H O'Neill, N Cleere, B Lannon(K Brennan), S Morrissey, L Blanchfield, W Murphy( M Shiel). scores. S Morrissey (1-5), N Cleere(0-7), B Lannon (0-2), W Murphy (0-2), H O'Neill(0-1).