Club News‎ > ‎

Bennettsbridge crowned All Ireland Champions 2015

posted Feb 19, 2015, 9:06 AM by Alan Flynn   [ updated Mar 23, 2015, 7:03 AM ]

Lets just say we are in dream world because this is what dreams are made of. When the entire community travelled to Croke Park to roar on their team they were not going to be let down. This team embraced the chance of playing on the hallowed turf of Croke Park and even the Kilkenny senior team would have struggled to contain them. From the very start they showed there was going to be no warm up time needed as was the case in the semi final. Nicky Cleere’s free taking was exceptional and lovely points from Aidan Cleere and Cormac Wafer meant the Bridge were in a comfortable position before a ball ever hit the net. By half time the ball did hit the Fullen Gaels net on 3 occasions. Brian Lannon got the first and the way he was moving you would not think he was all of 28 yrs. Liam Blanchfield got the second and he was causing the defence plenty of concern every time he got on the ball. The third came from Hugh O’Neill after great work again by Brian Lannon. Indiscipline was causing Fullen Gaels dearly and by half time they had 3 players on yellow cards. The Bridge went in at half time 3-11 to 0-6pts. The second half started tentatively and scores were scarce for the first ten minutes. But when Fullen Gaels lost their full forward to a straight red it was game set and match. The Bridge continued to pile on the points and had the luxury of bringing on the maximum number of subs to enjoy the thrill of playing on Croke Parks turf. James Moran was unlucky not to get on the score card when his 65 just went wide. There were gasps when Hawke Eye was not called on but James said later when the use Hawke Eye for Tipp players they always manage to tweak the camera. Darrah Wafer said he took the next 65 because the ref said he could not wait for Enda Cleere to make his way up to take it as instructed by management. When the final whistle blew the scoreboard read Droithead Binead 3-19 Fullen Gaels 1-8. There were wild scenes of celebration on the field and in the stand. Robert Lennon received the cup from GAA President Liam O Neill and spoke very well mentioning all the things that make this team great. He remembered the club members who are gone to their maker and singled out Marty Treacy who was Mr. Bennettsbridge Hurling for 50 years. Nicky Cleere received the Man of the Match award presented by Eddie Buckley of AIB and chairman of O’Loughlin Gaels. During the presentation manager Christy Walsh practiced free taking into the Canal End. Barry Lennon is still looking for the sliothers. This was a fitting end to a momentous season for the club. The team and supporters returned to Langtons in Kilkenny for a victory dinner and it was then home to the Bridge where the celebrations went on late into the night and the next day and the next. The Team lined out E Cleare, S Wemyss, R Lennon, J Moran, J Cleere, E Morrissey, A Cleere(0-1), D Wafer, K Blanchfield (0-1), C Wafer (0-2), S Morrissey (0-3), N Cleere (0-9), H O’Neill (1-1), B Lannon (1-0), L Blanchfield (1-1). Subs used Paul O’Neill, Patrick O’Neill, W Murphy, E Fitzgerald, M Shiel(0-1).